Thursday, May 26, 2011

Responses to NBA League Pass Survey

I just filled out the league pass survey.  Overall, I'm pleased, but had some comments:

10. What features would you like to see added for next season?

Two things on my wish list:
1)  Cut out the commercial breaks!  The NFL version of this service doesn't include any commercial time (they cut right from game action to game action), nor should the NBA league pass.  At a minimum, if you have to keep the commercial break section, NBA league pass has to change the insipid programming in the breaks.  If I watch the same four highlights from NBA history much longer, I will go stark raving mad.
2)  Also, it would be great if you were able to add the halftime show of either the ESPN or TNT game feed, although I understand that this may be a copyright issue.

13. Please provide any additional suggestions or comments.

My biggest comment, and something that detracts from what is otherwise an excellent site, is the tendency of NBA league pass to inadvertently give away the ending of games before the viewer has a chance to watch them.  This has been a particular problem during the playoffs, where the schedule bar at the top of the screen typically spans two or more days into the future.  (I typically log in and watch games the morning after they happen in London - so, if I log into the site at 6 am, that means it's the equivalent of 1 am EST.)  Here are two examples: 1) Game 7 of the Memphis-OKC conference semifinals, where the schedule at the top of the screen showed that the league pass would be showing G1 of the OKC - Dallas series in two days.  Doesn't take a genius to figure out that OKC had won g7.  2)  G5 of the OKC - Dallas series.  This time the problem was what the schedule bar omitted: there was no G6 between the two teams listed on the schedule, which logically meant that Dallas had won g5 and the series was over. 

Another problem, which mostly seems to have been fixed (though not entirely), is the data bar at the bottom of the screen used to include a section marked "overtime," which again, made it obvious that the game was going to go into overtime.  I haven't seen that lately - and I know I can hide the bar - but I found that annoying as well.  And even when the Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4 and OT markers are taken out, it's still possible to "recognize" a pattern, particularly at the end of games, where there's a very long break between baskets and then a cluster of activity, as indicating overtime.  There have to be solutions to these problems, but it has to start with a recognition of the importance of the basic principle: don't give away the ending!  A smart fan who follows the league pass can figure it out if you give enough clues. 

Feel free to contact me at hayriot@yahoo.com if you want more suggestions, feedback or ideas.  I'm happy to help if I can.

Basically the problem is that site administrators aren't thinking like a fan who logs in after the games are over hoping to preserve the suspense of who won and who didn't, particularly when they live in places overseas where it's almost impossible to watch games live.

No comments:

Post a Comment